Wednesday, February 9, 2022

1938 Jefferson Nickle And Two Silver War Nickles Found From Coin Roll Hunting

 To begin this post I'm going to show you the three biggest finds I found from coin roll hunting  $156 dollars worth of nickles. These bank rolls were a combination of machine rolls and customer returned change.

The biggest find was a 1938 Jefferson nickle. When I first saw this I thought it was an error coin because I have always thought the 1939 was the transitional date. I didn't know there was any such thing as a 1938 Jefferson nickle. 

When I went online to do some research I got very excited when I saw the price range in values from $6 to $1800. I knew that based on the condition I would probably be looking at the lower range but I figured maybe I'd be looking at a twenty dollar coin or something like that. The fact that under 20 million of these were minted further convinced me that I had something very rare.

Then I went to check ebay and my hopes were crushed. There are many examples that look better than mine going for two or three dollars.  I guess I should feel lucky just finding one of these but I sure wish it was in a little better condition. Here is a pic of the 1938

Oldest Jefferson nickle

The next best find after this was two silver war nickles dated 1942-S and 1943-S. The 42 is fairly dinged up but finding two silvers in less than $200 worth of nickles is pretty sweet.

1940s silver nickles

Before I go any further, here is proof that I went through $178 worth of nickles. As you can see some are machine rolled and some are customer returns.

Hunting large amounts of nickles

I also have to make note of the 1939 Jefferson nickle I found. This is an exceptionally good looking coin considering what they usually look like when they come out of circulation. I'm not saying it looks fantastic, just better than normal.

Circulated condition 1939 Jefferson nickle

Then we have the 1940s nonsilver Jefferson nickles. I'm not going to do detailed images of these. Just a birdseye view of the nineteen nickles I found in this decade group.

1940s Jefferson not silver nickles

I decided not to post the 1950s I found today. I'm starting to think I should start putting everything after 1950 back into circulation. There are just too many of them floating around. I don't know if they will ever really increase in value.

At the end of the day this was not a bad hunt. I'm slowly but surely increasing my collection of Jefferson silver war nickles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment