Monday, January 3, 2022

Huge Wheat Penny Explosion I Found Coin Roll Hunting A 25 Dollar Box Plus Mint Memorials

 

Coin roll hunting, bank pennies, old coins

I just got finished coin roll hunting a $25 box of pennies I picked up from the bank. This box was about half machine rolled pennies and half customer returned pennies. Customer returned pennies are kind of a mixed bag. Sometimes you find some really cool things and at other times you are just going through coins that have been searched by another collector. I was just about halfway through this box, mostly opening up the customer returned rolls and I had only found two wheat pennies. I was getting very discouraged, thinking this would be one of those boxes that was a complete waste of my time with little to no value on the return investment of my time.


Then it happened, as I approach the halfway point I began to see two to five wheat pennies dropping in each single bankroll. By the time I was done I had a huge number of 1940s and 1950s old American wheat back pennies. I even had a few that were older than that. I ended up with 22 wheat pennies from the 1940s and 23 wheat pennies from the 1950s. Also there was one penny with so much surface erosion that I could not reasonably make out the date. Here are the images.


Wheat pennies, old american coins



Wheat pennies, coin roll hunting, free pennies


These fifty odd wheat penny finds all by themselves would be more than enough from one box. But I found much more. I also found a few older wheat pennies. The dates on these were a 1936-S mint mark and these 1935 and 1937 wheat pennies with no mint marks. The 1936-S is a great find with average condition coins like this one being worth about 55 cents according to the price charts I could find online. Here are the images of these three pennies.

Wheat pennies, 1936-s penny, 1935 penny, 1937 penny


Now this would be enough for any collector. But I found something else amazing in this bank box. I found a ton of 1963 and 1964 mint state Lincoln Memorial pennies. I looked into the history of these mint dates and I found that there are a lot of errors, especially double stamp errors on the dates. Unfortunately these are very hard to see and I don't have a coin microscope or a jewelers lens to thoroughly investigate these other pennies. I will have to wait until I get the funds to buy one, or find someone that can help me identify these.

My mind wants to tell me that these are special coins, especially when you look at the three on the mint date of the 1963 pennies. That's supposed to be where one of the well-known errors is at. Of course with a cheap camera phone there's no way to tell. These images are just coming out weird looking because these pennies are in such good condition they reflect more light. There are 18 of the 1963 mint Lincoln Memorials. Here is the image of the 1963s.


Mint Lincoln Memorial pennies, 1963 mint pennies, free pennies


Then we have 37 mint condition or near mint condition 1964-D and 1964 no mint mark pennies. I really think these Memorial pennies look really weird. They almost have that pushed in or indented look. This makes me think that they might be double stamped, there has to be some reason somebody had so many copies of the same coin in a collection. I guess at some point I'll have to get the proper tools to learn the true value of these coins.

Mint Lincoln Memorial pennies,  mint 1964 pennies, free pennies


2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yep, I still don't know if I have anything special with these Lincoln Memorials though.

      Delete